Deadline: October 12, 2018
The University of Cape Town is inviting applicants for its Smuts Memorial Botanical Postdoctoral Fellowships. The object of the Fellowship is to enable a person who has exhibited proficiency in independent research to undertake study and research in systematic botany and geographical distribution of South African flora, these being the branches of Botany in which General Smuts was most keenly interested. The possibility of work on other aspects of the South African flora is not excluded.
Fellowship Provider: University of Cape Town , South Africa.
Programme: Postdoctoral Fellowships at the Department of Biological Sciences , University of Cape Town.
Who Can Apply: The fellowship is open to any eligible person, South African or otherwise, who is capable of carrying out its objective and materially advancing the knowledge of the South African flora.
Value: Up To R190 000 for 12 months. The award does not include any benefits and is normally exempt from taxation.
Eligibility: The fellowship is open to any eligible person, South African or otherwise, who is capable of carrying out its objective and materially advancing the knowledge of the South African flora. Possession of a PhD degree which has been obtained no more than five years ago is a minimum requirement. Eligible candidates may not have previously held any academic or professional permanent positions.
Applications must include the following:
- Research Proposal (maximum 5000 words).
- The applicant’s full curriculum vitae and list of publications.
- Three reports from referees. The referees must be requested to email the references directly to the head of department at the email address shown below.
- Certified copies of all academic transcripts and degree certificates.
- Written endorsement by the host (principal investigator; normally a permanent staff at UCT or SANBI) of the proposed project. To be emailed directly to the head of department.Applications will be considered by a sub-committee in the Department of Biological Sciences. Applications must be submitted electronically to the Head of Department, Department of Biological Sciences, University of Cape Town (firstname.lastname@example.org)