Application Deadline: October 15, 2018
Individual Fellowship at the Université libre de Bruxelles, IF@ULB, is a comprehensive fellowship programme providing excellent experienced researchers the opportunity to conduct frontier research and receive diversified training in an environment of scientific excellence and state-of-the-art facilities, under the supervision of renowned academics and with the support of an extensive collaboration network of academic and non-academic institutions. IF@ULB is funded in part by ULB and in part by the European Commission through the Marie-Skodowska Curie COFUND Programme.
Degree Level: Research fellowship
IF@ULB will propose three calls within a five-year programme. To impact ULB’s post-doctoral policy as widely as possible, the project will be open to all fields of research, organised into three panels:
- Social Sciences and Humanities,
- Physical and Engineering Sciences,
- and Life Sciences.
For each panel and each call, IF@ULB will offer to fund 7 excellent researchers for a research project of a 24-month duration, reaching a total of 63 fellowship positions over five years.
Place of Study: Belgium
Duration:The starting date of the project must fall within April 2019 (earliest) and mid-October 2019 (latest). The fellowships will last 24 months.
The financial structure of the fellowship is as follows:
Fellow-related costs :
- Living allowance- €3.503,21
- Mobility allowance- €400,00
- Family allowance – €150,00
Research-related costs :
- Travel allowance- €200,00 per month
- Research costs- €500,00 per month
- Other (training, etc.-€300,00 per month
The living allowance is an indicative value for 2018 and is subject to minor changes of approximately +2% due to yearly indexation. It covers the amount of an untaxed fellowship contract that is equivalent to an employment contract. The fellowship contract is fully subject to the Provisions of the Belgian Social Security System covering health insurance, maternity leave, sick pay in case of hospitalisation, disability insurance, national pension system, national unemployment system, insurance against workplace accidents, family benefits and provisions towards occupational diseases. The breakdown of the living allowance is as follows:
- Gross monthly employer’s cost- € 3.503,21
- Monthly employer’s social security contribution-€ 720,78
- Gross monthly income & holiday pay- €2.782,43
- Monthly employee’s social security contribution-€ 360,92
- Income tax 0 (tax exempt) Net monthly income & holiday pay- €2.421,51
All candidates are entitled to the mobility allowance that is provided as a net amount. The family allowance is provided also as a net amount only to candidates that have family obligations. Family is defined as persons linked to the candidate:
a. by marriage or b. by a relationship of a status equivalent to marriage recognised by the legislation of the country or region where this relationship was formalised c. as dependent children who are actually being maintained by the researcher.
The family status will be determined at the deadline of the call and will not be revised during the fellowship.
Eligible Countries: All
-Applicants of any age and of any nationality are eligible.
-Eligible applicants are experienced researchers:
- with a PhD degree and maximum 7 years of post-doctoral experience at the date of the call deadline or
- without a PhD but a documented full-time equivalent research experience of minimum 4 and maximum 11 years at the date of the call deadline.
-Full-time equivalent research experience is measured from the date when a researcher obtained the degree allowing him or her to embark on a doctorate. This needs to be proven by the employment (or equivalent) contracts.
-Eligible applicants must not have resided or carried out their main activity (work, studies, etc.) in Belgium for more than 12 months during the last 3 years before the call deadline.
-Eligible applicants should not have already benefited from a postdoctoral fellowship in Belgium for more than six (6) months before the call deadline.
How to Apply:
Applications are submitted on line in the dedicated platform accessible at IF@ULB website (www.if-atulb.ulb.be). Applications sent via other means (e-mail, post, etc.) will not be considered. It is the responsibility of the applicant to submit the application on time to avoid last minute delays due to the high number of submissions. The submission platform will be automatically deactivated at precisely 17:00 (UTC+2) on Monday October 15th, 2018 and will not be able to accept further submissions. No extension will be granted unless there is an unequivocal technical issue with the submission platform, in which case all applicants will be notified accordingly.
The application file of the applicants is complete when all the following documents are submitted in .pdf format:
- A copy of the PhD degree or a certificate confirming that all the requirements related to the PhD programme in the home institution are fulfilled prior to the call deadline.
- If no PhD degree has been obtained, a career description proving at least four years of full-time research experience by the call deadline. Applicants should attach proofs (e.g. contract, employer certificate) proving their research experience.
- A detailed CV of maximum 5 pages, including a publication list. The mandatory template is available at the call website.
- A research and training project of maximum 10 pages describing the state-ofthe-art, the research questions and/or objectives, the methodology, the work plan, the training programme in an academic and, if relevant, non-academic environment, the dissemination, exploitation and communication activities, the information on ethics issues (not included in the 10 pages, see section 7.1). A compulsory template is available at the call website.
- The letter of acceptance from a ULB academic member confirming that the applicant, if successful, will be integrated in the research group and receive the appropriate training. Applicants are invited to consult the ULB Research inventory to identify a supervisor: http://www.ulb.ac.be/rech/inventaire/facultes/index.html
- A copy of the passport or identity card.