The Banting Postdoctoral Fellowships program provides funding to the very best postdoctoral applicants, both nationally and internationally, who will positively contribute to the country’s economic, social and research-based growth.
The objective of the Banting Postdoctoral Fellowships program is to:
- attract and retain top-tier postdoctoral talent, both nationally and internationally
- develop their leadership potential
- position them for success as research leaders of tomorrow
Application Deadline: September 18, 2019
Degree Level: Fellowship to pursue research
Areas of Research: Health, Natural Sciences and/or engineering, Social sciences and/or humanities
Value: $7000 per year (taxable)
Duration: 2 years
- Canadian citizens
- Permanent residents of Canada
- Foreign citizens
Citizenship and Location of Host Institution
Canadian citizens, permanent residents of Canada and foreign citizens are eligible to apply, provided they meet the following conditions:
- Applicants who are not Canadian citizens or permanent residents of Canada may only hold their Banting Postdoctoral Fellowship at a Canadian institution.
- Applicants who are Canadian citizens or permanent residents of Canada and who obtained their PhD, PhD-equivalent or health professional degree from a foreign university may only hold their Banting Postdoctoral Fellowship at a Canadian institution.
- Applicants who are Canadian citizens or permanent residents of Canada and who obtained their PhD, PhD-equivalent or health professional degree from a Canadian university may hold their Banting Postdoctoral Fellowship at either a Canadian institution or an institution outside of Canada.
For a list of eligible health professions, please see CIHR’s webpage.
Eligibility Window for Degree Completion
Applicants to the 2019-20 Banting Postdoctoral Fellowships program must fulfill or have fulfilled all degree requirements for a PhD, PhD-equivalent or health professional degree:
- between September 15, 2016 and September 30, 2020 (inclusively), and
- before the start date of their award.
Applicants who have not fulfilled all requirements for their degree at the time of application must submit proof no later than October 15, 2020.
For applicants who have completed more than one PhD, PhD-equivalent or health professional degree, the eligibility window applies to the most recent of these degrees.
Allowable Extensions To Eligibility Window
The window of eligibility can be extended by a cumulative maximum of two years if the applicant had their career interrupted for one or more of the following reasons:
- parental leave
- health-related family responsibilities
- mandatory military service
- disruptions due to war, civil conflicts and/or natural disasters in the country of residence
“Career interruption” refers to a period of time when the applicant was not working (full-time or part-time) and when their research output was completely interrupted.
Additionally, for health professionals who have engaged in post-degree non-research-related clinical training (e.g., residency), the eligibility window can be extended by the duration of this training.
For other professions that require post-degree, non-research-related training to be certified by a professional body, please consult the Vanier-Banting Secretariat to confirm whether an extension to the eligibility window is allowable.
No other exceptions will be allowed.
Interruptions used to extend the eligibility window for degree completion must have occurred after the fulfilment of your degree requirements and before the application submission deadline.
Justification must be provided in the Special circumstances attachment.
“Fulfilled all requirements of the degree” refers to the date that the applicant completed all the steps required for obtaining their degree. Although these requirements may vary by institution and degree type, they normally include thesis defence corrections and thesis deposition. Note that convocation is not considered a degree requirement.
Host Institution Eligibility
Institutions eligible to host a Banting Fellow include Canadian and foreign universities, affiliated research hospitals, colleges and not-for-profit organizations with a strong research mandate and capacity.
Canadian governments (federal, provincial, municipal) and all for-profit organizations are not eligible to participate as host institutions.
Questions regarding institutional eligibility should be directed to the Vanier-Banting Secretariat well in advance of the submission deadline.
The mode of applying is online.