Application Deadline: January 15, 2019
University of Amsterdam is awarding Amsterdam Excellence Scholarship (AES) for the 2019 academic year. The scholarship is open to Students from outside the European Economic Area. The University of Amsterdam is a public university in Amsterdam, Netherlands.
Established in 1632 by municipal authorities and later renamed for the city of Amsterdam, the University of Amsterdam is the third-oldest university in the Netherlands. It is one of the largest research universities in Europe with 31,186 students, 4,794 staff, 1,340 PhD students.
Degree Level: Master’s programme
Field: Subjects within the Faculty of Science, University of Amsterdam
Host Country: Netherlands
Value: The Amsterdam Excellence Scholarship (AES) is a full scholarship of €25,000 (covering tuition and living expenses) for one academic year with the possibility of extension for a second year (for two-year Master’s programmes).
Number of Scholarships: Not known
Eligible Countries: Students from outside the European Economic Area
Eligibility: Candidates wishing to apply for an AES programme should:
- not have the nationality of one of the countries of the EU/EEA or Suisse
- not be eligible for support under the Dutch system of study grants and loans (Studiefinanciering; for more information please refer to www.duo.nl).
- not be eligible to pay the reduced tuition fee rate for EEA students at the UvA
- not receive a full coverage scholarship for the same period of study as the AES
- have submitted a complete application to one of the MSc programmes (see the website of your MSc programme for the application and admission procedure)
- have been (or will be) admitted for the first time to one of the MSc programmes at the UvA
- be able to comply with the conditions to obtain a Dutch visa (if applicable)
- have completed their previous academic programme no longer than 3 years ago
- The International Team should be notified as soon as possible of any change in nationality, type of residence permit or additional financial support throughout the academic year.
Application: Applicants should apply via the ONLINE APPLICATION LINK below.
Application for the Amsterdam Excellence Scholarship is part of the application procedure for the Master’s programme of your choice. On your application form we ask whether you want to be considered for a UvA scholarship. Please check this box if you want to be considered and if you fulfill all requirements mentioned above.
Furthermore, enclose a paragraph in your motivation letter for the MSc Programme in which you explain why you wish to be nominated for the Amsterdam Excellence Scholarship and what it would mean for your future academic career. This motivation letter should be uploaded in DataNose.
After applying, the coordinators of the MSc Programmes decide which students qualify to apply for the scholarship. All students will be informed as soon as possible.
Two-year Master’s programme
Students who are awarded an AES are expected to complete their first year of study with good in order to receive the scholarship for the second year as well. The Faculty of Science requires that students satisfy the supplementary requirements imposed on students by the faculty and programme, such as the obligation to attend all classes, good progress and effort.