Application Deadline: August 31, 2018
The Department of Biotechnology(DBT) of the Ministry of Science and Technology in India, and TWAS have established a fellowship programme for foreing scholars from developing countries who wish to pursue research towards a PhD in biotechnology.
Degree Level: PhD
Minimum Degree Held: MSc
Sandwich Option: yes
- Agricultural Sciences
- Structural Cell and Molecular Biology
- Cell and Molecular Biology
- Biological Systems and Organisms,
- Medical and Health Sciences incl. Neorosciences
- Chemical Sciences
Duration: Up to 5 years
Host Country: India
Eligible Countries: Developing countries in the South
Applicants for these fellowships must meet the following criteria:
- Be a maximum age of 35 years on 31 December of the application year.
- Be nationals of a developing country (other than India).
- Must not hold any visa for temporary or permanent residency in India or any developed country.
- Hold a Master’s or equivalent degree in science or engineering.
- For SANDWICH Fellowships, be registered PhD students in their home country and provide the “Registration and No Objection Certificate” from the HOME university (sample is included in the application form); OR
- For FULL-TIME Fellowships; be willing to register at a university in India.
- Be accepted at a biotechnology institution in India (see sample Acceptance Letter included in the application form). N.B. Requests for acceptance must be directed to the chosen host institution(s), and NOT to DBT.
- Provide evidence of proficiency in English, if medium of education was not English;
- Provide evidence that s/he will return to her/his home country on completion of the fellowship;
- Not take up other assignments during the period of her/his fellowship;
- Be financially responsible for any accompanying family members.
- No applications will be accepted after the deadline. Therefore, it is recommended to submit your electronic application as early as possible.
- Applications for the TWAS-DBT Postgraduate Fellowship Programme can ONLY be submitted to TWAS via the online portal and copy of the submitted application must be sent to DBT by email.
- For SANDWICH Fellowships (only if already registered for a PhD in the HOME country) applicants should ensure that the Vice-Chancellor or Registrar of the university sends a signed copy of the “Registration and No Objection Certificate” on institutional headed paper to TWAS (see sample form).
- Applicants should submit the Acceptance Letter from an Indian biotechnology institution to TWAS when applying online. Without preliminary acceptance, the application will not be considered for selection.
- Reference letters must be on letter-headed paper and SIGNED by the referee. The subject line must contain the name DBT/PG/ and the candidate’s surname. N.B. Only signed reference letters can be accepted.
- Should you have applied to or availed any Indian fellowships (especially INSA JRD TATA and JNCASR-CICS) in the current or previous year this must be clearly specified in the application form.
For more information, you may visit the official website.