Application Deadline: August 31, 2018
The Matsumae International Foundation(MIF) invites applications from international students for its MIF Research Fellowship Programme in Japan. Fellowships are awarded to undertake research at selected host institutions.
The Matsumae International Foundation (MIF) is a nongovernmental organization whose Fund is solely based on donations from many Japanese people who have responded with goodwill to Dr. Shigeyoshi MATSUMAE’s call. While many donations have been kindly offered by corporations and groups, most of the donors are individuals who are sympathetic with the Founder’s ideals, and maintain contributions to the Fund from their limited incomes. Successful applicants are urged to seriously consider and understand the goodwill of those persons, and ensure that the provided fellowships are utilized effectively.
Degree Level: Research fellowships
Field: Fields of research such as natural science, engineering and medicine are considered with first priorities
Place of Study: Japan
Number of Fellowships: About 20
Duration: 3-6 months
The following financial supports are provided to the successful applicants. No support to his/her family or dependents is available. Fellowships are provided to successful applicants only, and intended for necessary living expenses and research activities in Japan. Under no circumstances, this fellowship is transferable.
- Allowance for research and stay : ¥220,000- per month is provided for the purpose of tuition payment, expenses for research materials, and miscellaneous living expenses.
- Insurance : Overseas Travel Accident/Sickness Insurance: (1) Personal accident insurance with death benefit and medical treatment, (2) Sickness insurance with death benefit and medical treatment.
- Air transportation : A coach class round trip air tickets between an airport nearest to the successful applicant’s domicile and Tokyo via most direct and economical routing is provided. The tickets provided cannot be converted to cash, nor can cash provided by MIF be used for purchasing air tickets.
- Start-up Fund upon arrival : ¥120,000- is provided to cover the initial costs to start a new research stay in Japan.
Eligible Countries: Non- Japanese citizens
Applicants of non-Japanese nationality who meet all of the following eligibility requirements are invited to submit the required application documents.
- Applicants must obtain a Letter of Invitation from host institutions in Japan.
- Applicants must hold a PH.D. (Doctorate) degree, or be recognized by MIF as possessing equivalent academic qualifications.
- Applicants must be at the age of 49 years old or younger at the time when documents are submitted. 4. Applicants must have sufficient abilities in the English or Japanese languages.
- Applicants should not have past or current experiences of staying in Japan. (Except for short-term stay. E.g. sightseeing, conferences)
- Applicants should be in employment in their home countries, and must return to their countries upon completion of their MIF fellowship tenure.
- Applicants must be of sound health.
How To Apply:
Applicants should obtain the current issue of the Fellowship Announcement from MIF. Or download the announcement from the MIF’s website and print out the Application Form in PDF-format or MS Word file. MIF cannot entertain requests for waivers of the eligibility requirements and other conditions, listed in the Fellowship Announcement, and will not accommodate such requests. Application must be submitted from the applicant’s home country. MIF accepts those submitted by post. Those applications submitted electronically or via facsimile will be unacceptable. Application must be received by MIF
by 17:00 on August 31, 2018 (Japan Standard Time). Application will not be accepted in any reason after the deadline date.
All of the following documents (#1-#7) should be in A4 size and be submitted all together in one package by postal mail. All documents must be type-written. Hand-written documents are not basically accepted unless adequate reason is recognized by MIF. Documents must be written in English and in English only. MIF will not be responsible for any costs incurred for submitting an application, and reserves the right to request additional documents if necessary. All the documents received by MIF will become MIF’s property and will not be returned.
#1. Application Form (Applicants should use the original Form provided by MIF. A self-customized Form is not acceptable.)
The form consists of two pages. Applicant’s photograph, taken within the past three months, must be attached. Applicants should ensure that all the items in the Form, without any exception, is properly filled out in the designated spaces. Application Form must be signed by the applicant him/herself.
#2. The Research Project
Applicant should make the research project document which includes the detailed information on the purpose, methodology, content of the research, and the road map of the project. This research project must be made based upon discussions with the host professor/scholar and planned content must be consistent with the research facilities at the host institution.
#3. A reprint of the most major publication by the applicant If not available in English, please attach an abstract/summary in English.
#4. Personal History (Curriculum Vitae)
The CV should include the complete list of publications: when and where they were published, co-authors, number of pages, etc. Please indicate in red the title of publication on the list which is submitted as the item “#3”.
#5. A letter of recommendation by the applicant’s employer testifying to academic ability and achievements, and confirming the availability of study leave during the fellowship period.
#6. Certified copies for all the academic certificates/diplomas (for Ph.D., MA/MS/MD, BA/BS) issued by the relevant institutions In case the documents are not available in English, please attach the English translation(s).
#7. A letter of invitation signed by the professor/scholar-in-charge at the host institution.
This letter should confirm the specific period of stay, the research project, the availability of research facilities/ equipment, and the arrangement of accommodation facility, under the MIF Fellowship Program. (A letter of invitation in the form of simple e-mail is not acceptable)